Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Week 4

Everyday is a new experience in a classroom. I am in the classroom everyday and I love it! One day everything goes according to plan and everyone is happy then the next day is just an off day. These off days make me realize that we all have off days and if we, as a team, work through the off times everything works so much better than work around them. One saying I want in my classroom is that "Today is a new day and so is tomorrow." With this comes the lesson that every class period is different and as a teacher you have to realize that. Your attitude/demeanor has to start over at the start off a new period.

Another thing I learned this week that I will not have in my classroom is squeaky chairs! Who knew that chairs could be so loud and distracting! My cooperating teacher and I talked about this and next school year she is going to order tennis ball for the bottoms of the chairs. Relatively silent movement here we come!

Today I had one of my students give me a note before class. She told me that she and another student didn't like me when I first came because they didn't think they could have fun around me. However, after getting to know me they both really liked me and realized they could have fun. She ended the letter telling me I was one of the few teachers she trusted and that she wished I would have been here at the beginning of the year for the whole year. Her letter made my day. Looking back I can see how much more I have trusted them and how that has built stronger relationships with the students. Another highlight was when a group a students asked me why I was leaving on the 18th and I told them I was going for a fun weekend to Montana. I heard sighs and "okay good" then one girl turned to a boy and said "you lied! She is too coming back!" It is nice to know the students want you around.

No comments:

Post a Comment